Tuesday, May 19, 2015

This from Peter Gillingham

I too remember the Calma. I joined Mitel in 1983, a little bit late for those helicopter trips from Kanata to Bromont. I remember long nights in the Kanata Calma tents putting together analog sections of the BLIC (later renamed DNIC) and the BPhone. I think there may have been a third chip for the Bullet system but can't remember what it was. We'll have to track down Ken Buttle or Pat Beirne to find out. Also remember fun days in the lab with massive coils of twisted pair tracking down transmission dropouts in the DNIC and SNIC. I think I achieved the record for the tallest stack of equipment actually used in a test. The one piece of equipment I could not use was a weird box with toggle switches and screwdriver adjusted potentiometers that Gregg Aasen purchased to test the DDX. It was only later after I joined MOSAID that I understood what the SRT-1 memory tester did.

1 comment:

  1. The CALMAs used to be in 'tents' made of hanging black curtains because you couldn't work all day on the low contrast screens otherwise... it was pitch black inside them,

    I did get to ride the helicopter once and planes (Cessnas I believe) but never got on the Lear jet - apparently it was a 25 minute flight with a steep ascent and descent and little else between. For reasons related to licensing, I think, some of the planes had to stop over at Burlington, Vermont on their way.

    ReplyDelete